This ERIC Digest publication addresses some of the initial questions parent may have about language immersion programs. It answers the following questions:
- What is a foreign language immersion program and how does it work?
- Why should I consider enrolling my child in an immersion program?
- How will learning everything in a second language affect my child’s English language and literacy development?
- Will my child become proficient in the second language? How long will that take?
- Is immersion an appropriate choice for all children?
- What can I do to support my child’s immersion experience if I don’t speak the second language?